Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Symbol Project

Objective: The purpose of this project was to create a basic symbol from a common everyday item. Then we were to take our symbol and use it to solve creative problems...turn it into a metaphor, alter it to completely change its visual meaning, create an interesting pattern...those were a few of the 15 or so creative problems. We also had to create something that would house our solutions that in some way reflected our chosen symbol.

Solution: I chose to use a car for my symbol. The way I came up with the idea of making a shop towel container to hold my symbol collection. This idea came after walking up and down the isles at Pep Boys for about an hour or so. I made the container out of foam, poster board, and glue soaked velum. I took actual shop towels and ironed on my ten favorite symbol solutions and stitched the corners together, this way they would pull out of the container one right after the other. It was a lot of work but the finished product was well received.


0 comments: